Very often people blame their weight gain on a slow metabolism. Metabolism is a term that describes all the chemical reactions that take place in the body such as breathing, repairing of cells and digesting food.
When using the word metabolism people also refer to the metabolic rate, the energy (calories) the body needs a day. Age, gender, genes, your microbiome (the type and number of bacteria living in the gut) and body size all play a role in the speed of your metabolism and how much energy the body burns daily.
10 tips for boosting your metabolism
- Stay well hydrated
- Do exercise that strengthens your muscles
- Do some types of aerobic exercise such as biking, walking or swimming
- Reduce excess carbohydrates (white flour and sugar) from your diet
- Eat slowly and chew your food well
- Eat probiotic rich foods such as kefir, sauerkraut or pure sheep or goat’s yogurt
- Half your plate needs to be filled with vegetables every meal time
- Drink green tea
- Eat 2 Brazil nuts a day
- Start intermittent fasting – a type of daily fast that allows you to eat during an 8-hour window.
Dietitian / Nutritionist
M.Sc. Nutritional Medicine