It’s that time of year when colds and infections make their appearance and make our lives difficult. Boost your immune system to fight the flu and unwanted winter symptoms!
- Have your vitamin D tested and optimize it by taking about 2.000 – 3.000 IU of vitamin D3 per day. Vitamin D3 has been shown to have a significant role in regulating the immune system.
- Take 500 mg of vitamin C a few times per week. Vitamin C has shown to help make colds lighter and shorter.
- Drink tea with Echinacea and elderberry, two herbs with known immune boosting power.
- Have a glass of kefir of sheep or goat’s yogurt on most days of the week. This will help balance the good bacteria in your gut which has a direct effect on keeping your immune system strong. If you are intolerant to dairy then instead have a good probiotic supplement on most days of the week. Choose a probiotic supplement with a blend of different strains of bacteria rather just one type of bacteria.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise can contribute to good general health but also to a healthy immune system.
- Eat lots of vegetables and about 3 fruits a day. Make sure you have a big variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet!
- If you have a sore throat, try Manuka honey which has antiviral and antibacterial properties, it reduces inflammation and attacks the bacteria that causes the pain.