Be yourself and dare to be original!
Do you ever find yourself feeling you can’t be yourself around certain people or areas? Relaxing in the comfort of your home but when you step outside it’s a different story? Do you sometimes feel the need to behave and dress in a certain way? Do you lose your originality so you can fit in?!
Unfortunately, throughout our lives there’s pressure to fit in. Those who are confident in their own skin and are true to themselves are often picked on by society, however, it is they who are doing themselves justice.
How to feel better about yourself by daring to be original:
- Trust your instincts and intuition. These two things make you original. They are yours and yours alone. Both are based upon your unique experiences and view of the world.
- Start small and rely on your gut to make small decisions for you when you lack sufficient information. (Choosing the right turn whilst driving; choosing what to eat or where to spend a short holiday).
- Change your clothing. Do you dress the way you want to, or do you dress to fit in or to impress others? This isn’t a suggestion to wear a miniskirt or a bright pink suit to your bank job, but outside of work, you’re largely free to do as you please. Dress to impress yourself!
- Share your opinions openly. Be open regarding your taste in movies, music, food, and other similar topics. Allow others to see the real you.
- Be kind to those that are brave enough to be original, too. If you’re critical of others, you’ll be afraid of receiving the same treatment. Criticism of others stifles your freedom to be yourself. Be accepting.
- Be willing and allow yourself to make mistakes. Make decisions as wisely as possible, but make them and do your best. If you’re afraid of making mistakes, you’ll never be original.
- You have nothing to lose. The late Steve Jobs stated, “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
- Spend more time with your best friends. Part of the reason you like those people so much is your ability to be yourself around them. By spending more time with them you might develop the habit of being yourself.
In 200 years, there will be no one left that ever saw you or spoke to you in the flesh. There’s no reason not to be yourself and enjoy the time you have. Be brave and show the world who you really are!