In today’s world being kind is a rare commodity. Success and personal gains are so high in most people’s agenda that lead us to often forget that above all we are human and our communities thrive when we give love and kindness to each other.
I’ve recently experienced situations where people put themselves and their own personal gain above everything else (ok, self-love can be a good thing). However, when it’s at the cost of being unkind and hurtful towards others, it is 100% not the right thing to do. At some point in life , it feels easier to be unkind. Especially when we feel like the world is against us!
But as Plato puts it: “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle”. Being kind can vary from doing small selfless acts, helping out a friend in need or just believing in someone when they don’t believe in themselves. The key is not to expect anything in return.
- Firstly, the obvious! It’s nice being nice.
- Once a day try to do something small for another person: Open the door for someone or give a genuine compliment.
- Ask people: How can I help you?
- When making a cup of coffee, ask people if they would like one also. Often the simplest of things have the biggest effects on people.
- Listen carefully without interrupting: This one is my favorite and a hard thing to actually do. Active listening takes practice.
- Kindness makes people want to be around you.
“Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” Mark Twain
What other acts of kindness do you suggest?