Water is essential for health. During this extreme heat maintain a good hydration level by drinking lots of water and also by eating lots of nourishing hydrating foods.
The following list contains foods with at least 85% water to help you meet your summer hydration needs.
- Cucumbers are 96.72% water. They are a good source of potassium and are in season in the summer months so their taste and smell is definitely at its best during the summer.
- Tomatoes are 94.5% water. They are a great source of lycopene, the phytonutrient with a very powerful antioxidant power that helps prevent cell damage. Make them a must in your summer salads.
- Zucchinis or summer squash, are 92.7% water. They also contain vital antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin which help fight damage to the body’s DNA such as the damage caused by too much sun exposure.
- This delicious summer fruit contains 91.45% water. Half a medium slice of watermelon has about 70-80 calories and is a great source of lycopene, the phytonutrient that gives it its red colour and its powerful antioxidant power.
- Cantaloupe melon. Cantaloupe has 90% water content. It is rich in vitamin C and fiber and makes an excellent summer snack. Cantaloupe melons, like many other orange coloured fruits and vegetables are also a good source of beta carotene, the precursor of vitamin A.
- Peaches are a great summer snack as they contain about 88% water, together with plenty of vitamins, including vitamin C and A. You can also make a tasty breakfast by adding peaches and nuts in your oats or yogurt, or add them in smoothies or summer salads.
- Grapes contain around 82% water. They come in many types and colours and everyone can find the best type of grapes to meet their preferences. Due to their small size they make a great mid-day snack you can take with you to work or to the beach!
Dietitian / Nutritionist
M.Sc. Nutritional Medicine