Mum’s, fresh boiled ‘Fasolia’ known as cannellini beans or white kidney beans.
Although this recipe has been reworked to tailor make each household, our boiled kidney beans are our set menu every Monday lunchtime. Why? After a weekend of meat eating, vegetables are called for! We turn our boiled beans into a fun, healthy light salad.
Jot it down:
Feeds approx.: 5 – 8 people
• 1 kilo frozen beans /3 kilos fresh beans with shell /2 cups dry beans
• 1 large potato peeled and cut into cubes
• 1 carrot peeled and cut into cubes
• 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into cubes
• Chopped tomatoes
• Chopped cucumbers
• Finely chopped parsley
• Finely chopped spring onion/onion
• 2 tins of white meat tuna
• Black olives
• Olive oil
Boil white, fresh or frozen kidney beans until soft. If you are using dry beans, soak them over night, change their water then put to boil. Boil the chopped potato, sweet potato and carrot separately, add some salt and cook until soft. Once beans are cooked, pour out their water and add them to the cooked potatoes and carrots in their juice. This ‘Fasolia’ dish is ready to be served. Each person adds condiments to their taste. Olive oil, lemon and salt are a must!