D-limonene, the essential oil found in citrus rind, is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent associated with numerous health benefits. Among others it can help dissolve gallstones, relieve heartburn, reduce triglycerides and lower cholesterol. D-limonene also promotes the proper functioning of the liver’s detoxing enzymes and boosts immunity.
You can find D-limonene in the rind of oranges, lemons, mandarins, limes and grapefruits. D-limonene provides these fruits their characteristic scent.
To benefit from the great health benefits of D-limonene you must consume the peels of your citrus fruits.
Tips for using citrus peel:
- Make sure your citrus fruits are organic.
- Cut in small cubes or grind and keep in the fridge (for a few days) or freezer (for longer storage).
- Add lemon zest in your salads, quinoa or rice dishes.
- Add in your smoothies.
- Add small lemon grid cubes in a vegetable soup you will blend.
- Brighten your drinks by putting twists of citrus peels (can use a vegetable peeler).