My younger sister’s blow by blow recipe of her amazing shrimp linguini pasta. She’s precise and detailed in all she does, just like her instructions! EnjoyJ
Serves 2 people
- 1 vegetable stock
- olive oil
- 2 onions (red)
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 1 clove garlic
- 20ml ouzo
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 spring onion
- 1 lemon zest
- Grated parmesan
- Linguine Pasta
- Defrost the 500gr. of shrimps if not fresh
- Remove the heads and shells but leave the tail intact for a nicer presentation. To devein, use a small, sharp knife to make a shallow slit along the back side of the shrimp… from the head to the tail…in order to expose the vein…and remove.
- In a deep pot add 750ml water, 1 vegetable cube and the shrimp heads and tails.
- Cover pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Do not simmer any longer than this or your stock will become bitter (from the shrimps acidity).
- When ready, drain the stock into a container and set aside until needed.
- Place a pan over high heat.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the shrimp, season with salt and some freshly ground pepper.
- When your pan gets nice and hot…add the shrimp and saute for 30 seconds on each side
- Do not cook the shrimp any longer so they can remain soft and juicy.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Place pan over high heat
- Coarsely chop an onion…and add it to the pan
- Add to tbsp. of olive oil, ½ a teaspoon of granulated sugar, a pinch of chili flakes.
- Thinly slice 1 clove of garlic and add it to the pan, add 20ml of ouzo.
- While the ouzo evaporates, finely chop 2 ripe tomatoes and add into the pan.
- Now you can add your stock and pasta. Start mixing and lower heat to medium high.
- Simmer for 10 minutes while stirring often.
- When your sauce has thickened, add 50 gr. of butter and mix, the butter will help thicken your sauce further.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add the shrimp, finely chop 4-5 basil leaves and sprinkle over the top, thinly slice 1 spring onion and sprinkle, grate the zest of 1 lemon …and mix.
- Add some grated parmesan and mix again.