I’ve already told you that I’m not much of a “kitchen” person. I’m a terrible cook and if I could, I’d pay you with one of my kidneys to do the housework for me.
So, whilst I’m a total mess with everything kitchen-wise, I’m pretty good at taking cooking ingredients and turning them into anything that has to do with beauty!
If you knew me, you would probably know that all my money goes on makeup, shoes and alcohol, which basically leaves broke at all times. So even though I’m broke, I’m also a wannabe-looking-good-all-the-time-diva so the struggle is definitely real! And what do we, broke people, do when it comes to our (fundamental) beauty needs? We google search, experiment and come up with new ideas and solutions, that’s what we do!
So, once again, I’ve done all the hard work for you and I’m here to tell you all the benefits of olive oil. You can thank me later.
Naturally, olive oi is packed with anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating squalene, which basically means that it’s amazing for hair, skin and nails. We’ve already talked about the benefits of coconut oil, so grab another bottle out of your DIY beauty maven’s kit and put some extra virgin, high quality virgin oil in there. Trust me, you’ll love it!
Here are some tips on how to use olive oil and make it your new best friend:
- Pre Shampoo Hair Treatment: Warm the olive oil in the microwave or in hot water. Then apply it to the ends of hair and scalp. Don’t be stingy, your hair needs it! Leave it in for up to 10 or 20 minutes and then shampoo it out.
- Lip Balm or Body Scrub: Put some brown sugar or some coffee grounds and a teaspoon of olive oil and see some real magic. Your chapped lip will be fixed in zero time (and zero money) and it with the most natural ingredients on the market. You can also add a splash of lemon juice for some extra flavour and acidic exfoliating properties. If you feel like your body needs some scrubbing, too, expand the recipe for your whole body – your skin will be as smooth as it gets! Your arms, your legs, everywhere! You’ll be surprised!
- Face mask: If your skin is dry, you may see benefits from using oil-based face masks. Mix some olive oil with ingredients such as egg white, honey, avocado or ground oats and watch this dehydrated face glow up!
- Eye-Makeup Remover: It seems impossible to remove mascara from my eyelids (and that’s okay because this beauty costs me a fortune). But eye makeup doesn’t look classy the next day, so I’ll give you a key tip: olive oil! I know what you’re thinking – putting olive oil all over your face will probably cause bigger problems and some clog pores. BUT! The oil grabs onto other oil-based products (such as mascara and eye-pencils) and it makes it a great pre-cleansing step to remove this goddamn stubborn eye makeup! Follow with some warm water and a pH-balanced face wash cleanser and voila!
- Cuticle Conditioner: If you want to grow longer, stronger nails, this is for you! Apply some olive oil to your hands – if you like to cook, this task might seem easier for you – and you’ll see how your nails will go from meh to wow! in no time! Tip: Keep a small bottle of olive oil by the sink for post-sanitizing moisture.
- Makeup Brush Cleaner: Use a gentle soap and just a few drops of olive oil and let them soak in water for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse them with lukewarm water, squeeze the extra moisture with a clean towel and hang them to dry. I’ve been cleaning my makeup brushes with olive oil for the last 3 years and I can guarantee that it works! It keeps your brushes smooth and it makes them last longer than expected. This is amazing!
Smooth, beautiful skin is the sexiest thing a person can wear. So, eat your vegetables, drink your water and use your olive oil!
Trust me, you’ll be glowing!