Did you know that there are people among us who wake up every morning at 5:30 to go to the gym? No one threatens them to do so, no one puts a gun to their head; they just wake up every morning, get dressed, hit the gym, and after have the energy to go to work. I don’t know who these people are, but if you’re one of them, this article is not for you. On the other hand, if you wake up every day and promise yourself that you’re going to eat healthy, drink water and go to the gym but you end up eating junk food and going for after work drinks with your colleagues… keep on reading!
It took me ages to figure out how I’d put exercise in my daily routine but I did and here are my secrets on how I managed to turn the gym out of a compulsory activity to a fun hobby!
- If you’re not the classic gym type of person, find an alternative: I know that treadmills are not everyones cup of tea and many people find the idea of the classic gym a bit boring. I’ve been there and I know how you feel, but don’t worry; there are many alternative ways to get fit without using fitness equipment. You could try Pilates, Zumba, Yoga, Aerial Yoga (this one looks absolutely amazing but I’m too scared to give it a shot), or even Kickboxing. What’s more fun than a new hobby?
- Go with a friend: A gym buddy is always necessary. They can provide motivation during your workout and they take the boredom out of longer rest times between sets. Just think about it: maybe you had a bad day and they had a good day…they can help you turn that bad day into a great gym day! If not, you can always go together for pizza after the workout!
- Buy a new gym outfit: A brand new outfit can really boost your mood. When you look good, you feel good and you perform better in all your tasks. You should never underestimate the power that new gym leggings could give you! I mean, your wallet might not like this idea, but trust me, it works!
- Make a bomb playlist: You probably already know which songs can nudge you off the couch and into your running shoes. It could be Madonna, Queen or Pink Floyd, or whatever works for you! Music is really powerful and the right song, at the right time, can elevate your workout, your state of mind, and your mood for the rest of the day. The right workout playlist can turn the hardest or dullest workout into the best part of your day, so make it B O M B !
- Love your body: Not only fitness models have the right to exercise and no one should ever feel the need to justify the decision to work out. I often found myself skipping gym because I wouldn’t feel good about my body that was until I found out about Ashley Graham. She is a plus size model and my new role model and if you don’t follow her on Instagram, you should do it now! She has a weight of 91 kg (201 pounds) and a height of 5’9” (175 cm) and she rocks her body like no one else! She works out really hard every single day, she also does Aerial Yoga and Kickboxing and her body was never an obstacle to do what she could achieve. When I found out what this badass woman was doing with her body, I decided to give myself a chance and see if I could take on the keeping fit world too.
Wake up every day and remind yourself that you are amazing. Feel really proud of yourself that you moved your cute, big/small butt (makes no difference) off that couch and did something physical .
Don’t let bad energy sink you; grab your bottle of water, wear your headphones and sweat the negativity out!
… You can always go for drinks and pizza later!