I was recently back on the sunny island for a week and made it my goal to go to the beach every day as I miss it so much living in London.
When my body experiences extreme weather changes in this case from cold windy London to humid warm Cyprus and having my hair and skin in saltwater every day, I like to swap or add a few products to my routine to adjust things to my needs at that time. Going to the beach is incredibly drying for your skin and hair, and if you add the occasional sunburn it’s sensitive too.
So in general, the rules I like to follow when it comes to body care after a long day at the beach are:
- Use a very gentle milky shower gel that doesn’t contain harsh SLS’s, and if sunburned don’t use a sponge or exfoliating gloves (obvs!).
- Use a natural, organic aftersun cream that does not contain alcohol and fragrance beware of the synthetic kind. It must have lots of aloe vera in it though to give a cooling sensation.
- Mix 100% aloe vera gel with aftersun for an extra dose of relief. Aloe vera is super healing!
I like to moisturize my body at least twice per day so it never goes super dry and flaky.
1.Coola Radical Recovery After Sun Lotion, 2.Lavera After Sun, 3.Green People Aloe Vera Lotion & Aftersun, 4.Weleda After Sun, 5.Weleda Sensitive Skin Almond Body Wash, 6.Lavera Silky Shower Cream Honey, 7.Weleda Lavender Creamy Body Wash
When it comes to taking care of my hair I like to:
- Wash my hair with a gentle shampoo because I end up washing it every day anyway so no need for purifying shampoos. If you are not going to be going to the beach so often then just use whatever shampoo you have at home.
- Use a super nourishing conditioner and hair mask that has reconstructing qualities.
- Rinse my hair with a strong brew of chamomile tea at the very end of my shower and leave it on. That’s a tip for blonds mostly as chamomile is famous for its lightening properties, but chamomile is very soothing to the scalp too.
- Do an overnight hair treatment, e.g. generously apply organic hair oil on my hair and sleep with it so I can wash it off the next morning, or even go to the beach with the oil in my hair for extra protection from the elements.
- Apivita Gentle Daily Shampoo, 2. Tabitha James Kraan Organic Hair Oil, 3. Apivita Nourish and Repair Hair Mask, 4. John Masters Repair Conditioner
And for my face I like to:
- Use a super gentle wash off cleanser as sometimes when I sunburn I’m not able to use a cream cleanser with a flannel because the cloth exfoliates the skin and I don’t need that when my skin is super sensitive.
- Use a rich cream cleanser when my skin is not sunburned, free off synthetic fragrances and harsh alcohols.
- Do a calming soothing mask regularly to make up for the hydration I lose in the sun, and soothe any irritation I might have.
- Use lots and lots of water-based serums like the one from Twelve I love.
- Use a richer cream every other night or so.
1.Ren EverCalm Gentle Cleansing Gel, 2.Rosa Centifolia Cleansing Gel, 3.Antipodes Grace Cream Cleanser, 4.100% Pure Deep Hydration Sheet Masks, 5.Ren Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask, 6.Dr Hauschka Soothing Mask, 7.Burt’s Bees Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Cream, 8.Twelve Ideal Moisture Level Mask, 9.Madara SOS Hydra Recharge Cream
Have a great summer!
The Green Edit