- Do your laundry. Take preventative measures and wash your pillowcases. Dead cells and excess oil collect here overnight, worsening the problem if you’re prone to breakouts.
- Consider cutting out dairy. Sorry skinny latte – but dairy has been linked to clogged pores and acne. Try almond, rice, oat or coconut milk instead.
- Do not pick, squeeze or generally punish your skin further! As tempting as it is, you’ll only spread spot-causing bacteria from your fingers and nails, and worsen the eye-catching redness.
- Open your kitchen cupboards.Dab a little Manuka honey on a spot at night as it is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Go pro. ELEMIS’ Our S.O.S Emergency Cream soothes and de-sensitizes blemish-prone skin – fast. Dab it on morning and night or whenever you can feel a spot brewing.
- Cleanse twice daily. Always, always remove your make-up – no matter how late you come home from that party. Leaving the day’s dirt, grime and debris – as well as old make-up – to clog pores, is a recipe for more breakouts. Be sure to cleanse in the morning as well, as oil builds up on the skin overnight.
- Pick a gentle cleanser. We know it’s tempting to use something super strong to “kill” that spot, but doing so will only trick the skin into thinking that its lacking in oil – so needs to produce more. Instead, pick a gentle cleanser that will restore order such as our Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser
- Apply oil. As counterintuitive as it sounds, sometimes applying an oil to oily skin can help re-balance its natural sebum production – making spots less likely. The Superfood Facial Oil contains a potent cocktail of anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Choose your concealer wisely. Pick a concealer that’s oil free and if possible, contains spot-busting salicylic acid. A mineral concealer will also help absorb excess oil and reduce redness.
- Create a distraction. If all else fails and your spot still hasn’t vanished, treat it with the right skincare, cover it carefully – then create a diversion. A statement smoky eye is perfect with a nude lip (a bright lip colour will bring out the redness of spots).
Eleni Savvides x
Owner: Nyxi Nyxi Beauty Lounge