Halloween weekend so let’s get spooky! Kids will delight in these biscuits and they are perfect for a Halloween party!
- 225g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 350g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g whole almonds
- 1 tube red decorating icing
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer; gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt, continually beating; chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160 C / Gas mark 3. Lightly grease baking trays.
- Remove dough from fridge in small amounts. Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon at a time onto a piece of greaseproof paper. Use the paper to roll the dough into a thin finger-shaped biscuit. Press one almond into one end of each biscuit to give the appearance of a long fingernail. Squeeze biscuit near the tip and again near the centre of each to give the impression of knuckles. You can also cut into the dough with a sharp knife at the same points to help give a more finger-like appearance. Arrange the shaped biscuits on the baking trays.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are slightly golden in colour, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the almond from the end of each biscuit; squeeze a small amount of red icing into the cavity; replace the almond to cause the icing to ooze out around the tip of the biscuit.