Autoimmune diseases are on the rise. An autoimmune disease is a condition in which your immune system mistakenly attacks your own body.
Common autoimmune conditions are:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves disease
- type I diabetes
- multiple sclerosis
- psoriatic arthritis
- lichen planus
- ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease
- celiac disease
Recently a new understanding of the root causes of autoimmune disease is beginning to emerge and diet and lifestyle are now recognised as hugely significant factors.
Factors linked to autoimmune diseases:
- vitamin D deficiency
- leaky gut syndrome (inflammation within the intestines leading to toxins and undigested foods entering the body and over-stimulating the immune system)
- food intolerances
- gluten in the diet
- certain viruses and bacteria
- lack of certain nutrients
- high intake of processed foods
Based on this new understanding we now have available specific protocols for people with autoimmune conditions that aim to heal the whole body from within. These protocols aim to remove foods that trigger the immune system and irritate the gut.
From a nutrition point of view the core of these protocols is the Autoimmune Paleo diet which has proved to be effective in helping people reverse autoimmune diseases and heal the body.