Chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which give them anti-inflammatory properties. They are rich in B vitamins too which boost your energy levels and help maintain a healthy brain function. Finally, they contain important minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium, and contain lignans which can help fight cancer. Just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds give you 30% of the magnesium you need in a day!
Chia seeds absorb 10 – 12 times their weight in water. This makes them a great tool for weight loss as they help you feel full for a long time and help between meal cravings and overeating.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- Prevent or help in treating constipation
- Decrease inflammation
- Protect against heart disease
- Protect against cancer
- Help control blood sugar minimizing the health consequences of diabetes
- Have high antioxidant capacity
- Help the body detoxify
- Help in weight loss
Tips for Adding Chia Seeds to your Daily Diet
- Make them part of your daily breakfast. Add them in your muesli mix or oatmeal
- Add in smoothies
- Sprinkle on your yogurt
- Add in granola bars
- Make a chia seed pudding by soaking 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds in coconut or almond milk for a few hours or overnight. Add whole or mashed berries for more nutrition and chopped nuts for extra crunchiness and nutrition.