Mushrooms have long been used in traditional eastern medicine; specifically, they have been used for the treatment of many serious diseases, even cancer.
Shiitake, maitake, enokitake, cremini, reishi, Portobello, oyster (or pleurotus) are the ones that are richer in immune enhancing compounds and are therefore referred to as medicinal mushrooms.
Health Benefits of Medicinal Mushrooms
- Boost the immune system
- Reduce cancer risk
- Increase chances of survival when used with cancer treatment
- Improve the functional state of red blood cells
- Reduce oxidative stress
- Have anti-inflammatory properties
Tips to Include Medicinal Mushrooms in Your Daily Meal Plan
- Always buy some mushrooms when you go food shopping so that you eat them at least once a week
- Add them weekly in your mixed vegetable recipes
- Add in salads
- Sauté them with grass fed butter and use in sauces for meat or rice dishes
- Use them in vegetable soups