Not all honeys are created equal! Non-processed (raw) honey is a great source of enzymes (propolis), antioxidants, B-complex vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and selenium. Raw honey is a powerhouse of nutrition that can boost the immune system and ultimately fight disease, making it a great superfood you might want to include in your diet.
Manuka honey is a Medicinal grade raw honey that is produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the native manuka bush. Each manuka honey has a UMF value which stands for Unique Manuka Factor and is the measure of its potency. Only Manuka honey 10+ or higher is considered to be active and suitable for medicinal use. The higher the number, the stronger the antibacterial effect it has.
Health Benefits of Raw Honey:
- Boosts the immune system
- Aids in wound and burn healing
- Great source of energy that does not spike blood sugar
- Strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral
- Helps promote sleep
- Promotes the growth of good bacteria in the gut
- Relieves digestive symptoms like indigestion and stomach pain related to H.pylori
- Relieves sore throat, coughing and pain during swallowing
Tips for Adding Raw Honey to Your Diet:
- Use it to sweeten your tea or coffee
- Add 1 teaspoon in a calming tea before bedtime such as lavender or valerian
- Add 1 teaspoon in smoothies
- Use it in your salad dressings together with olive oil, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, mustard and lots of herbs
- To boost immunity, have 1 to 2 teaspoons daily.