Try out my chicken pie, which I fine-tuned recently. The family can’t get enough if it! It is, if I must say so myself, absolutely delish!
For approx.: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- chicken breast cubed
- salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 6 tablespoons flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaf
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 500g pack fresh puff pastry, or frozen and defrosted
- water, for brushing
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the chicken breast. Season with salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper, and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl and return the pan to the stove.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, and celery, cooking until the vegetables have softened and the onion is translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring well so there are no lumps.
- Add the garlic, parsley and thyme, and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir occasionally until the sauce has thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and reserved chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour in the fresh cream.
- Stir to combine and cook until the peas have defrosted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Unroll the pastry and cut out to make a base, a middle and a lid for your chosen Pyrex dish. Press the cut out dough, making sure to fully press down so the dough is flush against the Pyrex dish. Fill with half the chicken mixture. Place the middle cut out and fill with the rest of the chicken mixture then top it up with the lid.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the top is a deep golden brown.
- Let cool until the Pyrex is cool enough to handle.
- Serve with a crunchy leaf salad.