Today marks World Cancer Day. It is a very special day, as we globally raise our power against cancer and increase awareness on cancer prevention!
The World Health Organization estimates that about 40 – 50% of all cancer cases can be prevented by changing our lifestyle and diet alone. By making the right food choices you are blocking the mechanisms that lead to cancer development, boosting the immune system and giving your body the chance to protect itself. You have the power to prevent cancer every day, at every meal.
My top 10 anticancer tips:
- Maintain a healthy body weight by exercising often and eating sensibly
- Add antioxidants in your diet (berries, raw cocoa, green tea)
- Fill half of your plate at every meal with salad or cooked vegetables
- Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables such as, spinach, cilantro, rocket, parsley, kale, and beetroot leaves
- Add probiotic rich foods to your diet i.e. kefir, goats or sheep yogurt, fermented vegetables or every now and then take a good probiotic supplement
- Boost your vitamin D levels – check your vitamin D levels periodically and aim to have a vitamin D3 level between 40-60 ng/ml
- Reduce sugary foods and drinks
- Avoid overcooked foods i.e. burned toast, char-grilled meats and smoked foods
- Limit red meat to about 500 gr per week and avoid processed meats i.e. salami, smoked turkey, ham
- Avoid tins as they are lined with a plastic layer that releases BPA in your food. Avoid drinking hot liquids i.e. hot tea, coffee in cartoon containers as they also have a plastic inner lining that leaks BPA into your drinks